Rental Property Registration
If you own rental real estate – many communities require you to register the property.
Kansas City, MO, Kansas City, KS, Independence, MO, Lenexa, KS, Overland Park, KS, and Leavenworth, KS, all have regulations which require rental property to be registered with the city.
Kansas City, MO
- Property must be registered each year between December 1 through January 31.
- There is no cost to register.
- There is a $50 late filing penalty for late filing.
- If the city determines that a property is not registered there is a penalty of $100 or more.
- Registration must done be online at: KCMO Rental
Kansas City, KS
- Property must be registered annually by May 1.
- Fees are charged of least $55.00 per rental house with additional charges for duplexes and multi-unit locations.
- To Register: KCK Rental
- Rental licences renew annually during the licensing period.
- The licensing period runs from January 1 to December 31.
- There is a required licensing fee.
- Biennial exterior inspections are required.
- To Register: Lenexa Rental
- The form “Business License Application – Landlord” is required
- The license fee is based upon gross rental receipts (minimum of $50).
- Beginning 6/1/17 inspections will be required every two years.
- To Register: Register Independence
- Landlord & Tenant Guide
- Each property must be registered with a total fee of $20.
- There is no renewal.
- To Register: Register Leavenworth
Overland Park, KS
- Licensing and inspection will be phased in over a two year period – beginning 1/1/17
- Owners will be required to obtain and maintain a valid rental license and pass an exterior inspection of each rental property.
- Rental licenses are good for two years with a cost of $60 per property
- For Information: Rental OP