Live in Kansas – Work in Kansas City? Amend Kansas Tax Return for a Refund

During 2012, 2013, or 2014 did you live in Kansas?

During 2012, 2013, or 2014 did you (or your spouse) work in Kansas City, Missouri?

If the answer to these questions is yes – the State of Kansas may owe you a tax refund.

If this applies to your friends, neighbors, or co-workers – let them know –  they may be due money from Kansas.

To receive refunds – you will need to complete amended Kansas tax returns for 2012, 2013 and or 2014.


In May 2015, The United States Supreme Court ruled on a Maryland case that state tax credits for taxes paid to another state should also recognize taxes paid to local governments.

In August 2015 Kansas admitted that they owed taxpayers the money and provided guidance for obtaining the funds.    Kansas Notice 15 – 15

What to do to get your money from Kansas?

To receive refunds, taxpayers must file an amended Kansas tax return for any applicable year.  Amended tax returns can be filed for 2012, 2013 and/or 2014.  The amended tax return for 2012 must be filed by April 15, 2016.

To complete the amended return you will need copies of your original returns (Federal, Missouri, Kansas – and Kansas City – if filed).  You will need copies of all W-2 forms.

If you need help, please contact BDS.

Liberty Memorial 2

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>