Category Archives: State Tax

Live in Kansas – Work in Kansas City? Amend Kansas Tax Return for a Refund

During 2012, 2013, or 2014 did you live in Kansas?

During 2012, 2013, or 2014 did you (or your spouse) work in Kansas City, Missouri?

If the answer to these questions is yes – the State of Kansas may owe you a tax refund.

If this applies to your friends, neighbors, or co-workers – let them know –  they may be due money from Kansas.

To receive refunds – you will need to complete amended Kansas tax returns for 2012, 2013 and or 2014.


In May 2015, The United States Supreme Court ruled on a Maryland case that state tax credits for taxes paid to another state should also recognize taxes paid to local governments.

In August 2015 Kansas admitted that they owed taxpayers the money and provided guidance for obtaining the funds.    Kansas Notice 15 – 15

What to do to get your money from Kansas?

To receive refunds, taxpayers must file an amended Kansas tax return for any applicable year.  Amended tax returns can be filed for 2012, 2013 and/or 2014.  The amended tax return for 2012 must be filed by April 15, 2016.

To complete the amended return you will need copies of your original returns (Federal, Missouri, Kansas – and Kansas City – if filed).  You will need copies of all W-2 forms.

If you need help, please contact BDS.

Liberty Memorial 2

State Tax Amnesty – Kansas – Missouri

Owe back taxes to Kansas or Missouri?

Want to pay your delinquent taxes – and want to avoid the penalties and interest?

The State Legislatures of Kansas and Missouri have both recently passed legislation establishing periods when delinquent taxes can be paid in full, with no interest and/or penalties.

The types of taxes eligible include:

  • Individual Income
  • Business Income
  • State and Local Sales Tax
  • State and Local Use Tax
  • Employers Withholding Tax
  • Corporation Franchise Tax

Taxes due prior to 12/31/14 are eligible for the amnesty.

To take advantage of the amnesty –  all taxes of a type must be paid during the amnesty period.

The amnesty period is:

  • Missouri – 9/1/15 thru 11/30/15
  • Kansas   – 9/1/15 thru 10/15/15

If you owe Missouri delinquent taxes that are eligible for the amnesty, Missouri will send a notice with the application for amnesty.

No word yet on the Kansas procedure to apply for the amnesty